Sunday, October 4, 2009

Homecoming Symposium

This past Friday I attended the homecoming symposium. I went and heard Dan Jones speak on things that will help you. Dan Jones is the Vice President of the event marketing division for Intersport. Dan has worked in the sport industry for 14 years and has been with Intersport for 7 years. This was a great opportunity to hear about what Dan did to get to the point where he is at and also learn about the different options in the world of sport marketing. Dan gave us 4 main tips on choosing a job the first one was, are you passionate about it? The next three are, can you be absolutely great at it, will it achieve your financial goals, and the last one is can you be proud of your job. He also gave us advice in getting a job in the field he said get as much experience as possible, be persistent, always use real communication and get outside of comfort zone. The other part of his presentation which this was the part I was most interested in was learning about the company of Intersport. I never thought about working with a company like this and after hearing his presentation it made me think that I would really want to have a job in this industry. His number one advice was don’t limit yourself to traditional jobs. One that that he said was there are numerous opportunities in sports industry other than the traditional working with a team. Intersport works in three different divisions; sport marketing, television, and digital. Intersport is a business to business marketing and that is one of the reasons why many people don’t know about this job. I really enjoyed his presentation and am glad that I went and saw him.
After listening to his presentation I used it to connect it to the class. This company deals with sponsorships and marketing brands at sporting events. One thing I first though about was the enclosure movement. When they closed baseball fields in with fence and charged admission to enter. They did not speak much about sponsorships of fields after this happened but I am sure many companies started to jump on the opportunity to be the head sponsor. Now looking around almost every park has a sponsor in the fields name like PETCO Park or Minute Maid Park. Another part of class that I thought about that has influenced the job of Dan Johns was when we discussed the top most influential events. Number one was ABCs Wide World of sports this would have affected the television department at Intersport.
For those of you who did not get to see Dan Jones and see what the organization of Intersport is like check out their web page at

http://www1.intersportnet.com/what_we_do.html
-Megan Meade

5 comments:

  1. Megan- It sounds like the people that we had here for the Symposium were pretty inspiring; wish I could have attended this one. I am completely intrigued with Dan's 4 main tips for choosing a job. It is so great to listen to someone who embodies all those characteristics that they are preaching about. So often, especially in this economy, we settle for jobs and just take what we can find. It is nice to have someone out there in our desired job field telling us to stick with it; that we can find something that fits all 4 of the points that he mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked is 4 main tips on choosing a job too. That is why I wanted to write on his presentation. I always felt that if you really enjoy your job than you will be successful. In away if you achieve those 4 tips than you have defiantly reached your goal at being successfull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your summary of Dan Jones' presentation--especially how you tied it in to what we discussed in class (i.e., the Enclosure movement). Thanks too for sharing the link to Intersport. I am glad that he gave you specific ideas of what to look for in a job, and also encouraged you to think beyond the traditional ways to work in sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended Dan Jones’ presentation as well. I thought it was a very inspiring presentation on how to choose a job. I especially enjoyed the part where he gave advice about getting a job. After listening to Jones, it inspired me to work as hard as possible to gain as much experience as I can. Jones described numerous of the jobs he took in order to gain experience, many of them were crappy jobs just to help him the long run. With having as little experience as I do now, this thoroughly encouraged me to do the same, and to do as much as I need to do in order to gain experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate you posting your recap of the presentation by Mr. Jones during the Homecoming Symposium.

    I was unable to attend this session, but you provided a nice summary of the career advice that Mr. Jones offered, and describing what the Intersport company is about.

    The tips he gave for job searching are invaluable and really make you think about your motives for pursuing the career that you choose.

    Good post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete