Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Arena District


While enjoying my Thanksgiving Break the last thing I wanted to think about is school. It is hard to do though when upon arrival after the 3 days off we students have two weeks left to finish up those last projects and papers. Although, thinking about school came in an indirect way. Tonight I went to the Columbus Blue Jackets game, before entering we ate at Boston’s, a gourmet pizza shop. While partaking in these events I thought back to our class a couple weeks ago and how we talked about how professional sports are good for the community. Also how teams move to areas where the sport will strive the most. Although we talked most about how teams move from one city to another in this case it was about bringing one sport back to a city that left 14 years prior, this sport is hockey. I connected the ideas of class discussion and the book and about what the Blue Jackets coming to Columbus has done for our city. I feel it has made a huge impact. When the Blue Jackets came they built the arena in a run down part of Columbus. No one ever really visited nor wanted to. Once the arena was built they labeled the part of the city The Arena District. This brought a lot of business to this area of Columbus. With the arena many different classier big name restaurants came also like Clotters, Boston’s, Boca di Beppo, O'Shaughnessy's and many more. Hockey came to town in 2000 and ever since this area has been growing. They just recently put the Columbus Clippers a minor league baseball team across the street from the arena. This is a new beautiful stadium with more attractions than the previous location of the Clippers stadium. There is also many different music venues for people to attend and condos so people can enjoy living in the city. Overall bring hockey to Columbus was a great idea and it has helped the city so much. The only problem will be keeping it here and winning!

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree that sports teams can help a community positively. In terms of the Blue Jackets, they have completely helped the city of Columbus. The city has transformed and thrived in the area of the arena. Like you said, it has brought in many different restaurants and businesses in an area of the city that wasn't the most attractive before the team arrived. I don't follow the Blue Jackets much, so I don't know much about the team and their fan support. I know in the past they haven't been the best team in the league but have started to come around as of late and I'm sure has created a positive buzz around the city. Recently, Toledo has brought back a hockey team that had once left the city and has become popular once again. I'm sure that team will have a similar impact on the city of Toledo, given that the people were upset to see the team leave the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entry makes me want to go to the Arena District. I have read about the improvements that were made. You make me want to see for myself!

    ReplyDelete